Saturday night at the bar while waiting for the bartender to take my order and secretly wishing i were a pretty chic for him to notice and give me my drinks, I unintentionally eavesdropped on a conversation between, what i believe were 2 boy-nerds making a transition to man-nerds.
The gist of the conversation was about the probability of the woman of their dreams being in this particular Boston bar.
This thought spawned a thread of some creative thoughts in the upper right corner of my head. My soulmate, i thought is sitting at home right now and watching Netflix and there may be a 1% chance that i meet her here.
A 30 year old with 50-60 hour work weeks, i spend an enormous amount of time on Netflix and i started to wonder, if Netflix can help with finding my soulmate. Consequently, I started drifting on a Netflix product improvisation journey and here are some of the features that I believe Netflix can potentially monetize while increasing the value of the $7.99 monthly fee.
Outside of your Facebook friends, create an experience for its subscribers to talk to to each other through forums. This can be based on the weighted score drawn from the common genres, actors, nationality etc.
- For example, if i am in Chicago and have watched TV shows A, B & C within 7 days and am looking for some company to watch TV shows X & Y, can i create a forum which can act as a platform for me to interact with like minded people around the area also interested in watching Shows X & Y?
- Can i invite them over for a watching party? Assuming the US population at 320 Million, and taking into account 36 M Netflix subscribers (see chart below), so 1 in every 8.8 persons is a netflix subscriber.
- The chances of the viewing party being attended by friends of the host’s who are not subscribers is 80%, which is very high. Hence, this also boosts the market cap.
- Can Netflix organize the watching party for an extra fee? This could be a crowdsourced activity, where the Netflix can assign ranks of a leader to a person who is willing to host the party, is certified by Netflix based on some criteria and in return he can get Free access for X months.
- Is there a potential for me to find my life partner through these interactions?
At a time, when 36 million americans are spending a chunk of their time on Netflix, it is definitely worth a shot to facilitate the union of like minded subscribers, where i can be the bartender and attend to every need of my soulmate!